You know gutters protect the aesthetics and structure of your home and property. But, over time, natural wear and tear, as well as the effects of Florida’s heat, humidity, and storms accompanied by high winds, hail, and heavy rain, can take a toll on your gutters.
So you might ask: How do you know if you need a gutter replacement? Let’s explore as The Guru Gutter Guys offer tips on how to know your gutters need replacing.
The Dangers of Damaged Gutters
While most gutter systems are strong, many last for 10 to 20 years unless damaged by weather, fallen trees, or other unforeseen circumstances. They work to keep water away from your home’s windows, walls, doors, and foundation. But when gutters are damaged, or failing after years of service to your home, it can cause damage.
Damages like landscape erosion, muddy areas which never seem to dry up, rotting fascia, interior water damage, insect infestation, and more can occur as a result. You should check your gutters regularly for damage. Choose a sunny day after several days without rain in your area.
Now, let’s explore the signs you should look for, which may indicate you need gutter replacement.
The Signs You Need a Gutter Replacement
- Cracks, Splits, Holes, and Rust – These are the first sign of the impending need for gutter replacement. While they may seem small at first, they will, if not repaired, turn into big problems fast, including damage to fascia, shingles, and even the foundation of your home. If you see numerous cracks, splits, holes, and rust, it is probably time to replace your gutters.
- Peeling Paint or Orange Flecks (Rust) – If your gutters are painted and you begin to notice peeling paint (when it’s not time to paint again) or orange flecks peeking through the paint, water is spending too much time in your gutters. That means water isn’t flowing out properly as intended or the section is damaged, and your gutters likely need replacing.
- Pooling Water, Flooded Basements, Mildewed Foundation – Since gutters are designed to prevent pooling water, flooded basements, and mildewed foundations, if you see any of these signs, you know your gutters are functioning properly. In some cases, it only means your gutters need cleaning, but in others it could mean your gutters need to be replaced before costly damage occurs to your home.
- Water Damage, Water Marks, and Eroded Landscape – If you notice water marks, or water damage underneath your gutters, it may indicate a leak or an overflow (caused by a blockage) in your gutter. Leaking or overflowing water can cause damage to your fascia and soffit. In addition, frequently eroded landscaping from gutter leaks or overflows may mean your gutters should be replaced.
- Gutters Pulling Away or Sagging – Your gutters shouldn’t sag or pull away from your home. When they do, water is not draining properly and may be standing in your gutters, causing the sagging, and pulling away from your home. If the issue is minor, you may be able to do spot repairs by re-hammering your fasteners, but if the problem persists, your fascia may be rotting which means it’s time to replace your gutters.
- Broken Fasteners, Nails/Screws on the Ground, and Separated Gutters – Should you begin to notice your metal fasteners are broken, you may be able to make the repairs, unless all your fasteners are breaking. The nails and screws which hold your gutter to the fascia board can come loose and fall on the ground, and this is often a sign your gutters are wearing and need replacing. Separating gutters are also a sign of wear, and if it happens frequently, it is time for gutter replacement.
Call The Guru Gutter Guys for Your Gutter Replacement
The Guru Gutter Guys, a division of The Solar Guys, was founded in 2001 to meet the demand for the highest quality products and outstanding customer service in the industry.
At The Guru Gutter Guys, we promise to provide premium quality seamless gutters to all central Florida delivered with integrity and complete customer satisfaction. Let us help you with gutter replacement for your home – contact us today!